Contact us

We're here to help, don’t hesitate to give us a call on:

How can we help?
Our address

Our address is:

Co-op Academy Broadhurst
Williams Road
M40 0BX

Unsure who you need to contact?

Please get in touch with Ms Philip-Bayliss or Miss Howard in our main office. They’ll make sure you get through to who can help you best.

0161 6814288

My child will be absent

Telephone the school as early as possible on the first morning of their absence to give the reason.

Please see our Attendance page for information on absences.

I'd like to report a safeguarding concern

Should you have a safeguarding concern, please contact:

School – 0161 681 4288
Designated Safeguarding Lead – Clare Bardsley
Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads – Jan Gough, Sharon Smith, Michelle Stacey and Tracey Kay

More information on Safeguarding.

Who can I speak to about Special Educational Needs support?

We have a full time Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, Clare Bardsley, who can also help to support children and families with any additional needs.

More information on SEND at Broadhurst.

I'd like to contact the Governing Body

To contact the Governing Body, please write to

FAO Chair of Governors

Co-op Academy Broadhurst
Williams Road
M40 0BX

I'd like to contact the Co-op Academies Trust

Any compliments, concerns or complaints should be raised via the Chair of Governors, as outlined in our Complaints Policy. The contact for our Governing Body is –

FAO Chair of Governors

Co-op Academy Broadhurst
Williams Road
M40 0BX

Following this should you still wish to contact the Co-op Academies Trust, you can write to the Central Team at

X99 Co-op Academies, 8th Floor

1 Angel Square


M60 0AG

Please mark all envelopes with X99 to ensure it reaches the Trust.

How do I make a complaint?

If you wish to make a complaint, you should do so in accordance with our Trust Complaints Policy

The procedure allows parents, carers or anyone else to raise a concern or complaint relating to the academy or Co-op Academies Trust.

The procedure is divided into three stages:

  • Stage One (The Informal Stage) you should speak to a staff member in the academy to see if they can resolve the issue.
  • Stage Two (The Formal Stage) is the point at which you should put the complaint in writing to the Headteacher or another senior member of staff. Where the complaint is against the Headteacher, you should write to the Chair of Governors at our school address. Address the letter or email to ‘Chair of Governors’.
  • Stage Three (Formal Resolution) is the final stage. It involves a hearing before a panel including governors and an independent person who will review the complaint in its entirety.
Who is our Data Protection Officer?

Our Data Protection Officer is

GDPR Sentry Lts
4 Highfiled Court
Greenfold Lane
LS22 6RG
0113 804 2035